1 November, 2010  |   6 Comments

Nablopomo, November

Despite the fact that November is one of the busiest months in my world, I always seem to get the Nablopomo itch. I’m doing it again, this time with a week-daily post with wisdom I’ve received that helps me through my day.

Today’s reminder?

Impatience is self-importance.

When I’m angrily rocking a fussy infant to sleep,
when I roll my eyes at the elderly lady going for her check AFTER all the groceries have gone through,
when I sigh loudly at an innocent request for help,

I’m being self-important.

Impatience is self-importance.

I’m not that important that my needs go first.
Everyone has needs.
By making time for their needs, I become human.

Impatience is self-importance.

Now I’m not going to make myself a doormat,
letting just anyeveryone take my time.

But when I get that panicked hot rising in my neck,
that pressing
pressing
urgency,
I remember,
I am not that important.
We, the we, are more important.

It’s your turn now.

6 thoughts on “Nablopomo, November

Erin says:

I’m so glad you posted this, it really gave me a brand new view. Thank you.

Maria says:

Great perspective!

Kristen says:

I like this a lot. I feel this way about interrupting — it’s simply a way of saying that I believe what I have to say is more important than what you have to say, and truth be told, I don’t believe that at all. I’ve become a much, much better listener*, conversationalist and friend since I’ve taken that point of view, which not only makes those around me happier, but it makes me happier. too.

*except when massive amounts of wine have been consumed, because then, you know, everyone just talks at once because we won’t remember any of it tomorrow anyway.

may says:

Just when I thought the Martyr post was a message from the universe to get myself in line, this one comes along…thank you!

jiff says:

AMEN to that. Don’t I know it. Although I might argue that when it comes to my mother-in-law, impatience is more a form of self-preservation ;-).

I am joining you in the daily blog posts – the topic: THANKSGIVING – I am doing it TWICE this year for a total of 55 people – I am going to need to speak to you about some entertaining issues…soon!

Amber says:

I needed this today. After a rainy, gross day with a crowded, wet-dog-smelling, packed-in-like-sardines subway ride, New York had worn me down and I was feeling seriously impatient. I needed a reminder to take a deep breath and not be in such a huffy, put-upon rush. So, thank you!