Taking off my entertaining hat for a minute so that I can get some advice off my chest. Yay blogs!
Duties for my full-time job include reading hundreds of blogs a day. I curate collections of blogs, I spend a lot of time evaluating blogs. Because of that, I see a big picture relationship between some web sites and traffic.
The best way to get more traffic is to share better content.
How to have better content
- Present imagery so beautiful that people crave your unique look.
- Write with conviction, invite healthy debate.
- Be useful, save us time, money or make us look better.
- Make us laugh, show us life’s truthful incongruities.
- Become a trainwreck, veer off the rails such that we can’t look away.
- Write really well, paying attention to grammar, vocabulary, metaphor and sentence structure.
Pick two things from that list and you will get more traffic to your blog.
Better content is not necessarily about your cat, your child or your complaints.
(Although it might be.)
It might be if your cat, child or complaints are any of the following two:
written with conviction,
really well written.
Have a conversation on Twitter, on Facebook, have friends all over the internet.
But first, have better content.
(It’ll make my job a whole lot more fun. Grin.)