18 October, 2011  |   9 Comments

Lunch trays for parties

With all the latest school day nostalgia, I’ve fallen in love with these vintage lunch trays on Etsy. Aren’t they dreamy?
Those colors!
Those… those… compartments!

How perfect would these melamine school trays be for self-serve plates for a potluck?

Make individual nibbling sections with different flavors of popcorn, spiced nuts or flavored potato chips. This super-modern stainless compartment tray makes me feel like I have more going on in the style department. And it could hold office supplies too.

Another thing these trays are good for are feeding those who will not allow different types of food to touch on the plate.

You know the type.

You may have a three year old who engages in that right now, perhaps you are one of the afflicted who cannot abide food touchings. I know non-food-touching-people is a thing because it seems to be the only similar trait in my exes.

Are you anti-food touching?
Or are you like me, a food combiner?

9 thoughts on “Lunch trays for parties

Leslie says:

I love this idea! And I love melamine. Someone just gave me the cutest little brown melamine bowls that they must have had in their cabinet for forty years.

Kristina says:

Food combiner! To me, the best part of Thanksgiving is assembling the perfect “Barbra-Streisand-in-The-Mirror-Has-Two-Faces” bite.

I’m such a combiner too.
    I make tiny sandwiches out of everything.
    (Including tucking fries into my cheeseburgers.)

I am so buying those stainless trays! I have the melamine ones but I am a paranoid weirdo and always think that plastic is oozing chemicals into the food. Stainless compartments, FTW!

Angella says:

I like my food separate, but that aside, HOW FUN WOULD THESE BE for a party? SO FUN. Want. 🙂

Helen, I have 4 of these trays in my kitchen, as we speak. You may have them. I bought them at an antique store and have used them precisely twice.

Please to be having.
    p.s. they’re mint green.

Nikhil says:

I visited the Etsy shop and I would dfneiitely get a serving tray! I’m redoing my kitchen (slowly but surely) and could really use this. Then, with the money left over, I would get my 3 year old niece a custom place mat (she loooove place mats; I have no idea why! LOL)

I be to having.
    Following up now, you minx, you.

[…] in, the girls can have the sprinkle party of their dreams. And I’m going to use some vintage lunch trays courtesy of Petit Elefant to hold all of the […]