12 September, 2012  |   16 Comments

The Lucky Piece

The lucky piece

In 2002 I wrote about finding graffiti on the wall that said,

Find a pigeon,
pick it up,
all day long you’ll have good luck.

And although I never saw anyone holding a pigeon, I thought, If I did see someone holding a pigeon, that would be some good luck stuff right there.

Eight years later, I thought about all the good luckย in my life. By that, I mean, all the things that I believe “bring me luck” when I see them.

That original list included luck squeezed from:
It's my lucky day.Men who look like Kenny Rogers (I saw one yesterday!)
Shopping carts more than two miles from grocery stores
Closed pistachios
Bachelorette parties
Toilet paper folded into a triangle

Since that original list, I’ve added a few.

Thanks to Mimi Smartypants (please go read the last paragraph), every time I see a dog pooping on the street, I don’t look away, disgusted, instead, squint to see if the poop is actually coming out of the dog’s butt. Mimi’s daughter says it’s good luck, and I agree.

I also find good luck when I hear a Joan Jett song in public, BoneR dollars and when I crack an egg with two yolks.

And, broccoli stems.

See, buying broccoli crowns can be more expensive than buying the whole broccoli complete with stalk. Broccoli stalks take a little more work, with the trimming, but they’re a little milder than the bushy heads. Try as I might, the stalks just look different.ย I couldn’t get the girls to eat them no matter my pleading and logic.

Enter luck.
On a whim, I started calling broccoli stems, “the lucky pieces.”

And now my children elbow each other out of the way to get broccoli stalks.
They feel lucky after they eat a broccoli stalk.
I win by being able to purchase the cheaper broccoli.
Win win!

If anything, adding “luck” to my day pulls me out of my self-involved funks – when I see a closed pistachio, a pooping dog or a broccoli stem, I grin and appreciate the good fortune right ahead of me.

So I ask again, what’s lucky for you?

16 thoughts on “The Lucky Piece

Knighton says:

Seeing strangers singing in their cars – the full-blown, belt-it-out, I-don’t-care-who-sees kinda singing.
    Children wearing bath towel capes in the grocery store.
    Beach sand in the door jams or under the floor mats of our cars.
    Random sightings of fabulous mustaches.

This made me smile! We all need a little more luck in our lives, don’t we? Now I’m trying to think up my own lucky list. Duran Duran, Elton John, or Rod Stewart in public are definitely at the top! Extra points if it’s an obscure or otherwise “unpopular” single. But what else? You’ve given me something to ponder.

Anne says:

Rainbows!

Shannon says:

Seeing horses run through a field!

sarafoley says:

mmm. making the unlucky lucky! I like your style ๐Ÿ™‚

kathryn says:

such a great post! my mom was a huge believer in finding luck wherever you can…when street lights go out while you’re driving, when a cricket is in the house, when you stub your toe, whoever gets the last glass out of the milk carton…i came across your site from shutterbean’s fridays list. i’m glad i stopped by and i can’t wait to read what else you’ve got here!

First time I’m ready your blog, and love this entry! Can’t wait to share the idea on my fb fan page. Not only is it very sentimental and sweet, it’s absolutely practical–almost genius–from a get-your-kids-to-eat perspective. Thank you!

Erica says:

I agree with Kathryn – good luck comes from being near a street light when it goes out.

Ally Bean says:

My mother, whose motto was “waste not, want not,” used to force us to eat the broccoli stems. I never thought of them as good luck, but now that I’m older & you point it out– I think that I will. What a fun way of looking at things!

Jenn says:

Mine may sound weird (the weirder the better, right?), but I see the number 117 everywhere and I think of it as my little good luck/I’m-right-where-I’m-supposed-to-be-in-the-universe sign.

Also, when I see people laughing in their cars on the way to work- a hopeful sign that everyone is in a good mood and that the day is going to be a-okay.

Lastly (sorry this is so long) – but how have a I never spotted a $1 BoneR bill?? Keeping an eye out/making them STAT!

<3 jenn

Julie says:

What a great list of luck! I have a bunch of times I find think bring me luck if I happen to spot them on a digital clock – 12:34, my birthday, my husbands birthday, our anniversary, on and on. Oh! And whenever the odometer on the car gets to anything remotely cool (85858, that sort of thing), I feel extra lucky.