26 November, 2012  |   13 Comments

Day in the life: Monday

In the spirit of Nablopomo, a typical Monday.

Good morning.I do it the night before.
That’s how I do it.

I:
Write little notes for my little girls.
Put out my clothes for work and put out my dog-walking clothes, the dog’s leash and bags.
Set up the coffee.
Set out my makeup (every minute in the morning counts!).
Set up the exercise video.
Put out my work bag, fully packed.
Pack my breakfast and lunch and the girls’ lunches.
Drop a dinner in the slow cooker, drop the slow cooker insert in the fridge.

4:00 am
Up and at ’em. I roll out of bed, do a quick exercise video, turn on the water to boil and leave the house for Pinot and I to take our daily 45 minute walk.

pinot

5:00 am
Pour the coffee through the coffee dripper.
While I’m waiting for the coffee, I stretch.
While I’m stretching, I say something positive.

“Today’s going to be chock full of adventure.”
“I am kind and hopeful.”
“My life is filled with love.”
(Sounds weird, but it works for me.)

Then I take a shower and
get dressed and
put on my makeup and
do my hair and
the older I get,
the more time it takes.

5:27 am
Pop downstairs, write a quick note for James’ and put it next to the coffee. I try to set up coffee for him, because he’s coming out right behind me with two grumpy toddlers in tow.

5:30 am
Hop out the door and
walk to the bus stop and
take the bus to the ferry.

My tummy doesn’t handle typing on the bus very well, so it’s all closed eyes, organizing thoughts and TTBook.org.

Commute

7:00 am
Ride the ferry to San Francisco.
I love the ferry.

On the ferry, I check into work and answer personal emails. My work team is mostly in New York, and since I’m a morning person, it’s a win.

Commute.

8:00 am
Walk through the ferry building to the office.
I get to walk down San Francisco’s Embarcadero, and it’s beautiful.

Squinting chilly Bay smells.
Rocket ship and cupid’s arrow.

Commute

8:30 am
Arrive at work.
My job is fascinating — even more so now that things have become evolvey — will personal storytelling still win out?

I’m here to try to make that happen.
I hope it will.

Commuting.4:00 pm
Walk to the ferry building, hop on the ferry, the bus and my way home.

7:15 pm
Walk in the door, hear the sounds of toddler splashing and a tired James.
Put the pajamas on the littles, pile on the bed for three stories, hugs and kisses and a few more trips for waters and potties.

Reading time

8:30 pm
One more online check and then it’s time to get ready for Tuesday.
Tuesday is one of my favorites.

This is how I do it, 2-3 days a week.
How do you do it?
Do you do it?

13 thoughts on “Day in the life: Monday

sarafoley says:

thank goodness it’s only 2 or 3 days a week, that’s all I can say! Actually, I can also say I stand in admiration of your 4 am exercise start. i had convinced myself that as my husband leaves for work at 5:40, that i did not have enough time to go for a walk before he leaves. You have busted that myth baby 🙂

I can’t believe I didn’t think to put a prepped crock pot in the fridge overnight. Here I was thinking I had to chop carrots and measure out spices at 6am while I waited for coffee in order to have crock pot weekday meals. Brilliant.

Also good advice: saying positive things while stretching and waiting for coffee. I’m going to use that.

My musing: I don’t like how we currently do a two-income household. I wonder if there is a way to do it that I would like.

Cheryl says:

I love reading posts like these – I always wonder how people “do it.” My schedule might be changing soon and it looks like I’ll lose morning time with my kids. Seeing that someone else is doing it makes it a bit easier to accept.

OMG, I was exhausted just reading this! I’m so not a morning person; perhaps I could take the night shift?

Ha! On the nights before my days in the city, I’m usually in bed by 9:00pm — falling asleep sitting up. I wish our culture valued individual time cycles — they make such a difference!

Woman, this schedule amazes me. Here’s a typical Monday for me:

7am: wake up to the light coming through the window
    7:15: get up and make tea, triage email & blog comments on phone
    7:30: shower, dress, make-up while Tavi and Dre play in the living room
    8:00: 10 minute walk with husband, kid, and dog to local cafe for family breakfast and order sandwich lunch to go
    8:30: walk final block to coworking office
    9am: Sit down at office
    5pm: Walk 15 minutes home with dog
    6pm: Family dinner!
    7pm: Play with tavi or relax with a video
    8pm: Bath
    8:30: Books
    9pm: Bed
    9:30: Watch stories with husband
    11:00: read in bed & fall asleep

My life suddenly feels so easy. Your stamina amazes me!!

Thank the universe this is only a twice a week kind of a day. I’ll post my work from home schedule that looks a lot more like yours.

My stamina is way smarter than I am. If I don’t recognize my limits, my immune system knocks me out for weeks.

Danielle says:

Dear Helene Jane,
    You wake up at four am? I am forever inspired.

Erica says:

Wow, that is a heck of a schedule. I don’t know how you can do that commute but at least you don’t do it everyday!

TP says:

Thank you for this post, I work three long days, followed by two half days and knowing that there are others out there, wanting the best for their families and working like crazy people to make it happen is so reassuring. Your positivity is superb – I will remember it the next time my well laid plans go awry!

Ha! I’m lucky that I enjoy — and have creative control — over my work. It can be rough if you are slogging through something that doesn’t fulfill you personally.

We’ll fit that10 pounds in a 5 pound bag the best way we can!

Neasa Hogan says:

That is commitment at every level. Commitment to family, to yourself and to work. Well done.